The festival takes place in Annecy, Haute Savoie, and honestly, if you come by train, it is definitely gonna be easy to walk around by foot and therefore enjoy all the festival’s animations. For instance, the cinema is located right next to the railway station. If you go out of the station by the main entrance, just walk straight away on the left side of the street, and you’ll find the Decavision cinema. What to say about Annecy… On a map of France, it’s very easy to find. Roughly speaking, it’s right in the middle of Geneva and Grenoble, not far from Lyon, and the city is surrounded by mountains (le Semnoz, La Clusaz and le Grand Bornand). If you’ve never had the chance to discover Annecy, you’ve probably heard friends of friends speak very highly of it and its beautiful lake. Well, it’s all true.
Annecy is often called the « Venice of the Alps » because of the three rivers crossing its old town. Seriously, those rivers give the « Vieux Annecy » an inimitable charm and its magic atmosphere is definitely suitable for few Instagram photos… Particularly known for its 28km2-lake and the surrounding mountains, the city offers an extraordinary setting right in the middle of the Alps.
You can easily understand why we’ve been holding the iF3 festival for 4 years and why we want to keep the tradition with the High Five… The scenery is just outstanding : blue, green, white, crystal-clear water, forests, snow… That’s everything we love ! If you’re into skating, don’t be shy and bring your board, cause there’s a more than worthy skatepark at the Marquisats (1350m2 with a Bowl, a street area…). And you better know that riding a bowl just in front of the Lake is pretty unique – it’s even surprising that the spot hasn’t been modelled for the Tony Hawk video game yet! Now that should be enough to make you familiar with the city. But if you’re eager for more information on Annecy and its surroundings, don’t hesitate to look up the Tourism information centre’s website : www.lac-annecy.com
My Beautiful city
Annecy, its lake, the mountains that surrounds it, its beautiful water, its secret spots where people like to go for a swim, its recreation parks, its vista points which make us get up early to see how Annecy awakens, its bike path that goes around the lake, its water that runs through the city, its streets we traveled on foot, the fresh air we enjoy while having a drink on a terrace, its sun that often hangs over our heads … Yes, when you think about it, Annecy makes us want to make interminable sentences. . We want to tell you more about this city you’ll enjoy during your stay between September 30nd and October 2th. Many will tell you that this city falls asleep, but we don’t usually listen to people and we think Annecy will awaken our senses. And don’t worry, the festival schedule will fill up your days and nights. You probably think it is an idyllic representation of Annecy. We tend to see the lake as half full rather than half empty … We believe since we began the festival in this city, we share a divine romance with it. It’s still a sweet paradox of spiritually escaping yourself in a city where the old prison is a postcard. We wanted to deliver these few words. This is in no way a message sponsored by the city of Annecy and / or Tourist Office.
And to push a little further, we leave you with Mirabelle Thovex who had the good idea of interning at Like That (note: the agency that organizes the High Five). She made a mini Annecy Guide. Thanks to her, you will be able to visit the city as true local.
- Le Poulailler, a hole in the wall that is due to turn popular. In need of a brunch after a great night. Simply call (07.60.33.43.60) and book a table. They will share their address.
- Undoubtedly the place to go for breakfast the Accalmie at 36 Rue Vaugelas.
- If you fancy a fresh juice, a takeaway smoothie before or after the movie screening go to Chez Pedro (23 Rue Sommeiller). The line is often long, but well worth the wait.
- Coffee lovers of all kinds should find gold at Café Largo at 8 Rue President Favre.
- The Boston Café offers all kinds of snacks that are worth visiting them at 4 Place Saint-Maurice.
- If you like bagels you’ll have plenty of choices between Mama Wolf in the Courier center and the Bagel Corner in the Bonlieu center.
- If you’re more organic, Armony Saveurs is your spot great smoothies, vegetarian meals and organic dishes: the Haras at 19 Rue Guillaume Fichet
- The wait can be long at Glacier des Alpes, but many say it is the best ice cream in town at 16 Rue Perriere.
There are plenty of good restaurants in Annecy. Here is a list of restaurants, not far from the venue where you put your feet under the table and eat well: L’appart du 17, le Sapaudia, Le Lilas Rose (pour une fondue), le Bistrot de Bonlieu, Little Italy, le Regann…
And if you want to chill and eat out
Not far from downtown while sitting in the grass, the Pâquier can be very pleasant. If you prefer to have your feet in the water, you can go to the lake on the wood decks.
Sports and outdoor
- The skatepark of Annecy-le-Vieux, facing the Roster, is small but perfect for learning new tricks (Rue de Lachat, Annecy-le-Vieux). If you need a bigger skatepark with bigger features and a lake view go the bowl at the Marquisats.
- For wakeboarding or wakesurfing, you can choose between multiple addresses. Among them, The Spot Arnaud Rougier where the skier is happy to take you on the water (call 06 10 62 82 11) or his neighbor Rémi Cachin VPV (n ° 07 60 46 09 94)
- In the morning, the little pedalo excursion could be fun. You will find plenty of rental companies near the bridge des Amours.
- To rent a stand up paddle, head to NCY Sup center. (book 06.85.85.60.06) or at Play The Mountain (04.80.94.54.44).
- You can also enjoy the lake with just your swimsuit
- To stroll around Annecy with a bicycle, you can rent with VELONECY at the train station otherwise head over to Original Bicycle Store in the city center at 2 rue du Chapuisien college or with Roul ‘ma poule at 47 Avenue du Petit Port of Annecy-le-Vieux or 4 Rue des Marquisats Annecy.
- And if you want a little more quiet activity, you can go play bocce at Boucan canot in Annecy-le-Vieux or next door at Mini-golf of the Imperial at 2 Avenue du Petit Port.
The happy hour
Then the drinks, one place for sure is at the Bar in la Cafette right by the venue. It’s a pop up bar where all the festivities will take place. Because we’re not exclusive The terrace of the Bel Abri is perfect when the weather is good and you want to get away from the city center. You can eat, drink or play table tennis at 5 Chavoires Avenue, 74940 Annecy-le-Vieux. Fisher is a small tavern on the lake, very nice for a drink at sunset at Quai Doyen, 74290 Veyrier-du-Lac.
For those who prefer to stay in the city center, Rooster Tail for its cocktails, Finn Kelly’s for its beers, the Place for its draft beers, the Pony Club for its mojitos, Buvette du marché for its dive bar feel, le Café des Arts for its terrace …